Welcome to I am herbed! blog, this is my herbs blog... It is one way to show my obsession towards food we eat everyday, I welcome everyone to share knowledge with me here and if you love herbs too... feel free to contact me, click label I am herbed or my foodbuzz featured publisher badge to know more about me... and have a great time... ~Chef Nash

Saffron...

>> Tuesday 8 September 2009

Assalamualaikum and Salam Sejahtera to all...




Vernacular Name: Saffron, Zafran
Botanical Name: Crocus Sativus L.
Family Name: Iridadeae                     

Saffron was believed to be originated in Mediterranean area, now it is widely planted in Europe, Middle east, and spread further to east part of the world. Unfortunately, I can’t grow Saffron at my backyard because it need moderate dry and cold atmosphere. It is known that the best saffron were found in middle east… or is it somewhere else?                       

Saffron was claimed to be the most expensive herbs in the world and for that not much quantity to be used in food, that is for costing reason.                 

Content: cineol, carotene, crocatine, crocine, likopen, essence oil, picrocrocin, pinean, safronal and zeaxantine.          

Uses on food: as flavoring, as herbs and colouring.                

My style: I usually used saffron in creamy sauce because of the colouring, red-ish yellow. Taste wise, I usually put about 10 to 15 nos per portion as adding too much saffron will spoiled other ingredients. Saffron are nice with seafood especially prawns. I also add saffron in my coffee and I called it ‘Kupi SaprunKu’. I don’t used saffron so much because of its high price but I drink it with my coffee… ;)                  

Uses for health: the female saffron can heal asthma, cough and fit. It is also can cure irregular menstrual cycle for women.                

Other uses: Some people use saffron for coloring in textile but I don’t think they can afford it since saffron is so expensive.   

       

Saffron is consider my top 10 list of herbs but never the best as
it is only nice for some food (little) not much but taste wise...
Love it a lot...
                         
                   
            
 

1 comments:

Unknown 19 September 2009 at 22:12  

Saffron is grown in Spain and they are trying to grow it in Afghanistan to encourage farmers there to stop growing poppy.

Herbs is life...

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP