Welcome to I am herbed! blog, this is my herbs blog... It is one way to show my obsession towards food we eat everyday, I welcome everyone to share knowledge with me here and if you love herbs too... feel free to contact me, click label I am herbed or my foodbuzz featured publisher badge to know more about me... and have a great time... ~Chef Nash

Black Pepper...

>> Friday 18 September 2009

Assalamualaikum and Salam Sejahtera to all...



Vernacular name: Black Pepper, Lada Hitam
Botanical name: Piper Nigrum
Family: Piperaceae

History and interesting facts:
Black Pepper was believed to be originated from India. It is native to India and has been known to Indian cooking since at least 2000 BC.  Peppercorns were a much priced trade good, often referred as ‘black gold’ and used as a form of commodity money.  The ancient history of pepper is often interlinked with long papers until the discovery of chili pepper which when dried are similar in shape and taste, were easier to grow in variety of location.

Only after the Middle Ages (a period of history which lasted for roughly a millennium, from 5th to 16th century), virtually all of black pepper found in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa traveled there from India’s Malabar region. It was also being grown in Java, Sunda, Sumatera, Madagascar, Malaysia and elsewhere in Southeast Asia but these areas traded mainly with China or used the pepper locally.

Black pepper, along with other spices from India has changed the course of world history.  It was in some part the preciousness of these spices that led to the European efforts to find a sea route to India and consequently to the European colonial occupation of that country, as well as the European discovery and colonization of the Americas.




A riddle found in 7th Century authored by Saint Aldhelm (a Latin poet).
I am black on the outside, clad in a wrinkled cover,
Yet within I bear a burning marrow.
I season delicacies, the banquets of kings, and the luxuries of the table,
Both the sauces and the tenderized meats of the kitchen.
But you will find in me no quality of any worth,
Unless your bowels have been rattled by my gleaming marrow.


Black peppercorns were found stuffed in the nostrils of Ramesses ll, placed there as part of the mummification ritual shortly after his death in 1213 BC.




Nutrition content: 9-12% water, 22-45% carbohydrate, 10-12% protein and 10-17% fiber.

Uses in food:
Black pepper is mostly used in food as spice and for flavoring/seasoning. It is known that once ground, the pepper’s aromatic can evaporated quickly and by that reason, grinding the whole peppercorns immediately before use, is recommended in most culinary sources.  I would say that pepper is used in most/all kitchens around the globe, you will see pepper mill or pepper shaker on their dining table along with salt.
I used Black Pepper as spice in my marinations of meat, chicken, poultry, fish, vegetables, stocks, soups and sauces. Whole pepper corns roasted together with meat to give that little spice/peppery flavor while ground black pepper I used as flavoring or seasoning/finishing taste for every cooking. In some spiced cooking I always put the whole pepper corns together with other spices, as, if you used it whole less peppery taste then using ground.  I also used it to make anyone (who talks a lot) near me to sneeze by putting that pepper powder near their nose… haha!





Uses for health and healing:
The 5th century ‘Syriac Book of Medicine’ prescribes pepper for such illness as constipation, diarrhea, earache, gangrene, heart disease, hernia, hoarseness, indigestion, insects bites, insomnia, joint pain, liver problems, lung disease, oral abscesses, sunburn, tooth decay and toothache.


Other uses:
Pepper spray is used for self protection, guess who use it? and having this device in their handbag? Pepper oil was processed and used as ingredients in perfume industries.


Note: before I made this article, I never know that herbs is the reason why in the old days sailor traveled but it also stated in history that they are actually looking for herbs for business purposes, not to discover the world which later has become primary purpose for them and herbs was that precious in the past… which proved people does love to eat good food… correct me if I am wrong… ;)

Info taken from wikepedia.com


And as bonus…

Peppery Beef



Ingredients:
500gm tenderloin beef (dice)
Corn oil
5 cloves garlic (sliced)
5 nos shallots (sliced)
5 nos red chilies (sliced)
1 nos red bell pepper (julienne)
2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp black pepper corn
5 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp chili paste
150 ml beef stock
Salt

Method:
Heat up a non sticky pan add 2 tbsp corn oil and sauté beef until dried or light brown color (at this stage, you might add some salt). Mean time, heat up a sauce pot, put in 2 tbsp corn oil and sauté garlic and shallot until fragrance. Add in tomato sauce and chili paste, stir, add in beef stock, cumin and pepper corns, cook to boil. Low fire and simmer, add in red chilies, bell pepper and beef, stir. Check seasoning, add salt to taste. Cover pot let it cook/simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.  Ready to be served.

Tips: you can actually cook them straight in one pot/pan but I sautéed the beef first because I like the beef to be colored and to get rid of their water, as the juice would give a dirt texture in the sauce. Some people would hate whole pepper corns in this dish but it is less hot than using ground and you could actually use ground pepper but remember to put less the amount, also you can actually eat that pepper corn. Dish is nice to be served with rice together with other dishes for family lunch or dinner. If you are using tough beef part simmer it longer to tenderize the meat and add more stock.

Note: this is much of a peppery tasted beef than spicy, as it is not that hot at all.

I hope you enjoy reading and have a great time… ;)


Regards, Chef Nash

9 comments:

Unknown 18 September 2009 at 11:28  

what a great post, thanks for sharing! and I love the bonus, can't wait to try it!

Angie's Recipes 18 September 2009 at 12:27  

India is famous for the use of an amazing array of spices. Thanks for the history :-) Love the peppery food.
Angie's Recipes

Anonymous 18 September 2009 at 18:10  

Wonderful post as always!!!! Thanks for sharing

Elin Chia 18 September 2009 at 19:57  

Chef Nash,
Selamat Hari Raya & Maaf Zahir Batin...this is a great one to celebrate raya. Thanks for sharing and have a great Raya. Looking forward to more of the raya dishes from you :))

Kim 19 September 2009 at 08:14  

Wonderful information about something I just pick up and use all the time!! I also like lemon pepper too ! Thanks for sharing this!

Chef Nash 19 September 2009 at 09:07  

Chef Shari, Angie, diningwithbatali... thanks for being here... thought I just want to keep this new blogs for my self for a while but glad I m sharing it... lol!

Elin, Selamat Hari Raya Maaf Zahir Batin to u too... do u celebs? theres gonna be so many food yea, loving it... will try to post some raya food I think as I m not opening my own house, have to balik kampong... lol! but will try and you're welcome to my kampong... ;)

Kim... hey, really u just pick them up? from where? lol! anyway... I love black pepper, no exception all peppers... including that band Red Hot Chili Pepper (RHCP)... lol! and thanks for being here... ;)

Chef Nash

lululu 19 September 2009 at 16:41  

cant never imagine it can actually be made at home!
it's wonderful, loving it!

Chowhound 20 September 2009 at 10:52  

This is great. I don't remember where had peppery beef before but it is quite something (you'll crave it once you had it). Thanks for posting, I will definitely try this.

Stacy 20 September 2009 at 18:05  

I love your blog. Thank you for reminding everyone about the many benfits of cooking with spices. I love following!

Herbs is life...

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP