Welcome to I am herbed! blog, this is my herbs blog... It is one way to show my obsession towards food we eat everyday, I welcome everyone to share knowledge with me here and if you love herbs too... feel free to contact me, click label I am herbed or my foodbuzz featured publisher badge to know more about me... and have a great time... ~Chef Nash

Cinnamon...

>> Friday 11 September 2009

Assalamualaikum and Salam Sejahtera to all...


Vernacular name: Cinnamon, Cassia, Kayu Manis         
Botanic name: Cinamomom Verum         
Family: Lauraceae                    
         
Cinnamon is a type of spice that was obtained from the tree’s bark. It was believed to be originated from Sri Lanka where until today is the highest supplier of cinnamon in the world. It is now planted in many places around Middle East and spread to Asia.               

There is two different type of Cinnamon from different species of trees grown from different region. True Cinnamon or Ceylon Cinnamon comes from Sri Lanka which is one of the best qualities Cinnamon. Cassia comes from Indonesia also called Kayu Manis in local dialect. Some comes from China, India, Brazil and Vietnam.  All Cinnamons from these regions is mostly similar but high quality Cinnamon/Cassia is very thin, smooth bark with a light yellowish brown color and has a highly fragment aroma.
          
           
Cassia also named as Cinnamon in the market.
             
Uses in food:
Cinnamon is mostly used in food as spice and flavoring. In some places, they use it in chocolate preparation.  It is also used in preparation of desserts like, fruit pie, buns, candies and tea. In some places liquor manufacturers used cinnamon as ingredient in their product.  Cinnamon is one of the key ingredients for curry paste which is mixed with some other ingredients like curry, cumin, turmeric and ginger.                 

I used cinnamon a lot in my cooking especially in stocks, soups, paste cooking like curries and korma.  I also used cinnamon in my apple pie. The bark also used to produce oil for flavoring, processed food, sweetener and drinks.                
          

Uses for health and healing:
Through research Cassia is an effective treatment for ‘type 2 diabetes’. It is also used traditionally to treat toothache and fight bad breath. Decoction is used to stimulate blood flows and aid digestion. It is also as cured for diarrhea, high fever, influenza, skin problems and bloated.      


     Cassia (left) and Cinnamon, can you spot the different?


Other uses:
Cinnamon oil is used in perfume, cosmetic industries, and soap. It is also used as eugenol to make artificial vanilla.  Seed oil is used to make expensive candle while oil from the bark is used in toothpaste and parametrical product.
                                   

Info taken from ‘Terapi Alami Rempah-Ratus Khasiat Makanan & Ubatan by Ong Hean Chooi’ malay version and Wikepedia.com
   
Note:  I wrote this article as simple as I could for my study and understanding more about product I used in food or other purposes. Its knowledge for me and sharing it is for you to know.  I personally thank you for reading this and hope that we benefit from it.  If you want to read more info about Cinnamon please check out where I took the info from.                 


Chef Nash

6 comments:

Stacy 11 September 2009 at 13:37  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous 12 September 2009 at 00:18  

I love cinnamon too...there are times when i put cinnamon in everything ... drinks, cakes, biscuits, shortbreads...even ice-cream :) Thanks for sharing this Nash....you are so ever creative & full of ideas...take k

Sutapa 12 September 2009 at 11:25  

I love cinnamon. I add cinnamon powder for preparing vegetables and non-veg both, it add a special flavor and taste.
You have a lovely blog about such useful herbs.
Great sharing.

Divina Pe 13 September 2009 at 01:54  

Thank you for starting this herb and spice blog page. This is very helpful.

BIZZY 6 October 2009 at 01:00  

I've been in love with herbs especially Cinnamon since I don't even know when. A very nice,informative blog you have here. Keep it up!

Another use of Cinnamon that I discovered, it drives ants away. Just put a stick or two of Cinnamon in the sugar jar or container & that will do the trick.

Jeannie 17 October 2009 at 00:53  

I'd just bake a carrot cake which has cinnamon as one of the ingredients. Gave a very lovely cinnamon smell while baking.

Herbs is life...

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP